Topic: Snapshot file counter

Would it be possible when trying to create a snapshot to automatically count through the existing snapshot files to find the next available number rather than using an internal counter? I often take several snapshots during a session, and when I come back at a later date, it's rather annoying to have to try many times (getting Error 18 each time) until the internal counter is back in sync with the files that exist.

Re: Snapshot file counter

Hi,
of course, there is always a prompt for overwriting at the start of the counter if the file already exists.
But if a free number is searched in the directory to save, this query will never happen,
any gap in the series of numbers would also be a storage name.
I find it better to assign a name to a SNAP personally, if that is possible.
Many Greetings,
Günter

3 (edited by Luzie 2020-06-01 15:31:16)

Re: Snapshot file counter

SCaddy wrote:

Would it be possible when trying to create a snapshot to automatically count through the existing snapshot files to find the next available number rather than using an internal counter? I often take several snapshots during a session, and when I come back at a later date, it's rather annoying to have to try many times (getting Error 18 each time) until the internal counter is back in sync with the files that exist.

Which NMI.SYS do you use? There´s a newer one called "New NMI.SYS" (by Dr Slump) which automatically take a higher snapshot-number if a snap with same name exists: http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1584#p1584