Topic: ESXDOS in the ZX-Uno hardware: NMI not working.

Hi! I've just added support for DIVMMC to the ZX-Uno core (more info about this clone here: http://zxuno.speccy.org/index_e.shtml ). This DIVMMC implementation features ESXDOS 0.8.5.

Everything works fine except for NMI. Everytime I issue a NMI, the computer freezes or reboots.

All automapper entries have been implemented: 0000, 0008, 0038, 0066, 04C6, and 0562. All these addresses switch to the ESXDOS ROM after the M1 cycle has ended. TRDOS entry points also behave as expected (TRDOS emulation works as well). Automapper exits (1FF8-1FFF) are also present.

However, I cannot get the NMI menu. How can I test whether NMI.SYS is being used/loaded, or how could I put my own code instead of the one in NMMI.SYS to see what is happening?

Thanks!

PS: I also tried with public beta 0.8.6 with the same outcome sad

Re: ESXDOS in the ZX-Uno hardware: NMI not working.

Hola,

Sorry for the delay but my net access was limited this week. You already know this but - the problem was that the DivMMC 'standard' mandates a minimum of 128K RAM whereas you were implementing the DivIDE standard of 32K. Please tell me if you run into any more issues.

lordcoxis wrote:

Please tell me if you run into any more issues.

Yep! The NMI problema has been sorted out. ZX-Uno DIVMMC implementation now uses 128K RAM.
I'm dealing with some weid behaviour regarding ESXDOS and SE Basic IV (Andrew Owen open source Spectrum ROM). Watching ESXDOS code and Sinclair ROM code, I'm wondering if traps work the same way in DIVMMC and DivIDE.

I mean: from DivIDE docs (and thanks to VELESOFT) I know that traps at $0000, $0008, $0038, $0066, $04C2 and $0562 cause ESXDOS to be mapped in after the current M1 cycle (actually, during the refresh cycle of the current M1 cycle) so the first byte at the trapped address is read from the main ROM, and the following ones, from ESXDOS.

This makes sense, for example, for NMI trap, as this behaviour ensures clean operation of NMI avoiding nesting NMI petitions (the byte at address $0066 in ESXDOS is C9 - RET - ) so a nested NMI call would return inmediately. The first NMI call would not return because the first byte read from the main ROM  at address $0066 is not RET.

But... for the rest of traps, I see that all of them, except trap $0008, have the same instruction that is present also in main ROM. Trap $0008 is funny, because the instruction at $0008 in the main ROM is a multibyte instruction: LD HL,($5C5D), while in ESXDOS is JP $0985: a totally different one.

If I follow the same mapping logic with this trap, the instruction read and executed by the CPU would be:
LD HL,($0985)

Which doesn't make sense, does it?  $0985 is an address from the first 8K, which is ROM at the moment of executing, so its contents don't vary.

So... does DIVMMC use the same trap logic as DivIDE? (delayed mapping, during the refresh cycle), or does it map ESXDOS at the beginning of the next instruction (not byte) following the current one, or does it map ESXDOS inmediately for all traps except the NMI trap?

Thanks smile

mcleod_ideafix wrote:
lordcoxis wrote:

Please tell me if you run into any more issues.

Yep! The NMI problema has been sorted out. ZX-Uno DIVMMC implementation now uses 128K RAM.
I'm dealing with some weid behaviour regarding ESXDOS and SE Basic IV (Andrew Owen open source Spectrum ROM). Watching ESXDOS code and Sinclair ROM code, I'm wondering if traps work the same way in DIVMMC and DivIDE.

I mean: from DivIDE docs (and thanks to VELESOFT) I know that traps at $0000, $0008, $0038, $0066, $04C2 and $0562 cause ESXDOS to be mapped in after the current M1 cycle (actually, during the refresh cycle of the current M1 cycle) so the first byte at the trapped address is read from the main ROM, and the following ones, from ESXDOS.

This makes sense, for example, for NMI trap, as this behaviour ensures clean operation of NMI avoiding nesting NMI petitions (the byte at address $0066 in ESXDOS is C9 - RET - ) so a nested NMI call would return inmediately. The first NMI call would not return because the first byte read from the main ROM  at address $0066 is not RET.

But... for the rest of traps, I see that all of them, except trap $0008, have the same instruction that is present also in main ROM. Trap $0008 is funny, because the instruction at $0008 in the main ROM is a multibyte instruction: LD HL,($5C5D), while in ESXDOS is JP $0985: a totally different one.

If I follow the same mapping logic with this trap, the instruction read and executed by the CPU would be:
LD HL,($0985)

Which doesn't make sense, does it?  $0985 is an address from the first 8K, which is ROM at the moment of executing, so its contents don't vary.

So... does DIVMMC use the same trap logic as DivIDE? (delayed mapping, during the refresh cycle), or does it map ESXDOS at the beginning of the next instruction (not byte) following the current one, or does it map ESXDOS inmediately for all traps except the NMI trap?

Thanks smile

Hi,

The DivMMC uses the exact same paging logic as the DivIDE. This will explain your doubt about the $0008 entry point:

0008                   rst08:
0008 C3 95 09    jp      rst08_handler                
000B 2A 5D 5C    ld    hl,($5c5d)              ; addr reached by the interpreter

As you can see, HL is reloaded after the first instruction (which loads HL with $0995 in this case) when called from the main ROM.

Regarding the differences between .tapein and NMI when loading .tap files: if you press ENTER on a .TAP file in the NMI menu, it triggers a system call which does a quick (fake) RESET and LOAD "". This quick RESET uses some parts of the main ROM initialisation, so this is probably where differences from the standard might cause problems.

Thanks for the info. Andrew Owen is working now to try to fix the issues btw ESXDOS and SE Basic IV.

Today, while I was trying the create-snapshot feature of the NMI handler, I've come with an issue. ESXDOS detects whether the machine is a 128K or 48K one, and generates the SNA file accordingly, but for 128K snapshots, the last byte written to port $7FFD is kept in the SNA so it must be somehow known. As this port cannot be read back in an original 128K machine, how does ESXDOS to figure out its value? Does it use a software approach, or does it use some kind of hardware feature of DIVMMC (for example, a port that keeps a copy of the byte written to port $7FFD) ?

Thanks!

mcleod_ideafix wrote:

Thanks for the info. Andrew Owen is working now to try to fix the issues btw ESXDOS and SE Basic IV.

Today, while I was trying the create-snapshot feature of the NMI handler, I've come with an issue. ESXDOS detects whether the machine is a 128K or 48K one, and generates the SNA file accordingly, but for 128K snapshots, the last byte written to port $7FFD is kept in the SNA so it must be somehow known. As this port cannot be read back in an original 128K machine, how does ESXDOS to figure out its value? Does it use a software approach, or does it use some kind of hardware feature of DIVMMC (for example, a port that keeps a copy of the byte written to port $7FFD) ?

Thanks!

Hi,

esxDOS uses a software approach. This hardware functionality you speak of was planned, but the DivMMC prototype was turned into real hardware before we could add it. Is there some problem with detection on ZX-Uno?

7 (edited by mcleod_ideafix 2014-03-29 22:45:43)

I've discovered that my issue has nothing to do with port $7FFD. However, the snapshots I'm getting when I use the "S" command from inside the NMI handler are not being loaded by Spectaculator. It claims that the snapshot has some feature it cannot emulate (??). Specemu loads them but it reports a Pentagon 128. Sometimes when I create the snapshot, in 128K mode, I get an ERROR 18, but the next time, I can create it.

Browsing the SNA with an hex editor, I've just seen that the byte at offset 49182d (TRDOS mapped in flag) has the value 02h, when it should be 00h. After changing that, Spectaculator no longer refuses it. Of course I haven't used TRDOS at all.

mcleod_ideafix wrote:

I've discovered that my issue has nothing to do with port $7FFD. However, the snapshots I'm getting when I use the "S" command from inside the NMI handler are not being loaded by Spectaculator. It claims that the snapshot has some feature it cannot emulate (??). Specemu loads them but it reports a Pentagon 128. Sometimes when I create the snapshot, in 128K mode, I get an ERROR 18, but the next time, I can create it.

Browsing the SNA with an hex editor, I've just seen that the byte at offset 49182d (TRDOS mapped in flag) has the value 02h, when it should be 00h. After changing that, Spectaculator no longer refuses it. Of course I haven't used TRDOS at all.

Hi,

Regarding the ERROR 18, the NMI browser always starts saving snapshots with the name SNAP0000.SNA (and keeps incrementing), if this file already exists you will get the error. Just keep pressing "S" until it finds an unused filename.

Regarding the TRDOS flag, checkout this thread and download the latest BETA where this is fixed:

[09/07/2013] NMI: TR-DOS paged byte was being set with an invalid value in 128kB snapshots, which led to the snapshots not loading on certain emulators (ub880d + reported by ZXHistory on WOS)

Awesome - this thread answers some of the questions I had re: ESXDOS rom page-in/out conditions.

I'm implementing ESXDOS and DivMMC on ZX Prism smile

Just wiring up the MMC sockets to the FPGA at the moment; I have the ESXDOS ROM on-chip and thanks to this thread I should have the logic I need to page it in and out configured soon!

Looks like I'll have to give the DivMMC implementation 128K of memory then? ZX Prism's got 512K right now, so sharing 128K of that with DivMMC isn't going to be a problem.

Anyway, thought you'd like to hear about another piece of hardware using ESXDOS - I may have some questions later!

Cheers

Jeff Braine
http://zxprism.blogspot.com.au/

Hmm. So do I have to check for /M1 to be '1' then? I was under the impression I had to check for  /M1 to be '0' so that the paging occurs during the M1 cycle?

JeffB wrote:

Hmm. So do I have to check for /M1 to be '1' then? I was under the impression I had to check for  /M1 to be '0' so that the paging occurs during the M1 cycle?

Hi Jeff,

I can't help you much with the hardware side of things, but the DivMMC is basically a DivIDE with MMC replacing the IDE bits, and with access to 128k->512k of SRAM instead of 32k. Checkout the original DivIDE documentation as it should help you: http://baze.au.com/divide/files/pgm_model.txt

JeffB: divide maps it's memory on entry point right after the first byte of instruction is read, so if there would be LD HL,1234 instruction at the address 0008h in ZX ROM, and in divide eeprom at the address 0008h would be instruction JP 5678; then when CPU enters 0008h entry point, it will read&execute instruction LD HL,5678 - first byte is opcode (33 =  LD HL,xxx), which is readed from ZX ROM and the argument is readed from divide memory at 0009h and 000ah, where is word 5678 (argument of JP 5678 instruction).

JeffB: I must correct myselft a little bit.

there are 2 types of entry points on divide. first type is like i wrote, reading first byte of instruction at entry point from zx rom and other bytes from divide eeprom/ram. second type is when divide maps its memory before reading of first byte of instruction, so whole instruction is read from divide ram, it is for compatibility with trdos system. and there is also one type of exit points, which maps back zx rom and they behave similar as entry points of first type, when cpu reach exit point, it reads first byte of instruction from divide ram and if it is multibyte instruction, the rest is readed from zx rom.

entry points of 1st type are: 0h (reset), 8h (print error msg), 38h (im 1), 66h (nmi), 4c6h (save to tape) and 562h (load from tape)
entry points of 2nd type are every byte of 3d00h-3dffh
exit points are from range 1ff8h-1fffh

there is also conmem bit of control byte, which connects divide eeprom/ram immediately when set

How rude of me not to reply before now.

Thanks to everyone for the information, I've got a much better idea of how things work now!