Re: New NMI handler / .commands

New release cool https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fjku48s0jumi … 0.zip?dl=0
* Corrected keyboard problems detected by Uto (or so i hope)
* Up/down keys now navigate to previous/next page when reaches first/last screen line.
* Navigator remembers current page and line between calls.
* Supressed splash screen. People already know Dr Slump NMI navigator cool
* Custom module on M key: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1usyqdwwb9i3y … m.zip?dl=0

Hello,
very nice to have something to test again smile
Very good work cool
The Custom module folder is stored in /sys ?
Bye for now,
Günter

128 (edited by david_ps 2017-10-30 20:35:07)

Spezzi63 wrote:

Hello,
very nice to have something to test again smile
Very good work cool
The Custom module folder is stored in /sys ?
Bye for now,
Günter

No Günter, it is for develop the custom module cool It includes all necessary to do it. The assembled module must be stored in /sys/nmi. This versión include a test custom module that prints Hello world! in center of screen.
Regards

david_ps wrote:

New release cool https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fjku48s0jumi … 0.zip?dl=0
* Corrected keyboard problems detected by Uto (or so i hope)
* Up/down keys now navigate to previous/next page when reaches first/last screen line.
* Navigator remembers current page and line between calls.
* Supressed splash screen. People already know Dr Slump NMI navigator cool
* Custom module on M key: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1usyqdwwb9i3y … m.zip?dl=0

Thank you very much. But can we please have back a display of the version number of NMI.SYS?

130 (edited by Luzie 2017-10-30 21:24:31)

velesoft wrote:

I have patch for ESXDOS for possibility jump to original NMI code in ZX rom, if you hold SHIFT during pressing NMI button.

I wonder what will happen if we press NMI key while having esxDOS TRDOS-Emulation on (e.g. attached .TRD-File as drive A).
On real Spectrum / TRDOS-Interface there´s a Snapshot-Save-Routine in TRDOS/Betadisk-Interface/Betadisk-ROM while pressing NMI.

Luzie wrote:

I wonder what will happen if we press NMI key while having esxDOS TRDOS-Emulation on (e.g. attached .TRD-File as drive A).
On real Spectrum / TRDOS-Interface there´s a Snapshot-Save-Routine in TRDOS/Betadisk-Interface/Betadisk-ROM while pressing NMI.

ESXDOS not contain trdos code for save betadisk snapshot. Support loading snapshot, but not saving.

132 (edited by david_ps 2017-10-30 23:44:57)

Luzie wrote:

Thank you very much. But can we please have back a display of the version number of NMI.SYS?

Version is still shown in configuration screen (K). A poll to see who wants the splash screen?
EDIT: Show it on the status line?

133 (edited by Luzie 2017-10-31 09:31:36)

david_ps wrote:
Luzie wrote:

Version is still shown in configuration screen (K). A poll to see who wants the splash screen?
EDIT: Show it on the status line?

It´s enough for my to display the version on K-Configuration Screen. (I didn´t notice it).
Only display it in Status-line if you have spare place (or until it reaches final development state :-)).

Regards,

Luzie

velesoft wrote:
Luzie wrote:

ESXDOS not contain trdos code for save betadisk snapshot. Support loading snapshot, but not saving.

OK. Thanks for clarification!

135 (edited by Uto 2017-11-01 18:53:53)

I've found no issues in last version, a great job, and very flexible now with the custom module option. Nothing else to say but contratulations to DrSlump, a great great job :-)

PS: I have added this thread in the ZX-Uno FAQ so pleople who want to POKE games using ZX-Uno know about this new handler ;-)

EN: http://uto.speccy.org/zxunofaq_en.html
ES: http://uto.speccy.org/zxunofaq.html

Yesterday I did some promotion of this new NMI handler, and someone asked me if it is possible now to browse other units. I think with DivIDE you can connect at least two IDE devices, so there may be more than one unit.

I'm not sure if that is possible, but if it is, it would be good if you can change drive letter :-)

Uto wrote:

Yesterday I did some promotion of this new NMI handler, and someone asked me if it is possible now to browse other units. I think with DivIDE you can connect at least two IDE devices, so there may be more than one unit.

I'm not sure if that is possible, but if it is, it would be good if you can change drive letter :-)

Hi Uto, my NMI.SYS is ready to be able to change the drive, but there should be some problem with version 0.8.x of esxdos because I have not been able to make it work with a drive other than the system/boot one.

david_ps wrote:
Uto wrote:

Hi Uto, my NMI.SYS is ready to be able to change the drive, but there should be some problem with version 0.8.x of esxdos because I have not been able to make it work with a drive other than the system/boot one.

That must be the reason why old NMI.SYS is unable also. We'll have to wait till 0.9.x. Thanks!

I've been doing more tests to change the unit and it works! I think a new version will come out shortly cool

david_ps wrote:

I've been doing more tests to change the unit and it works! I think a new version will come out shortly cool

Great news! Thank you!

141 (edited by david_ps 2017-11-03 19:54:06)

I have been doing tests and esxDOS only reports up to four units (I have tested two SD cards with combinations of up to 4 partitions each).

What do you prefer, 0,1,2,3 keys to direct select hd0 to hd3, or a menu to choose the unit from a list (cursor keys and enter)?

I currently have the first option implemented.

142 (edited by Luzie 2017-11-03 20:11:27)

david_ps wrote:

I have been doing tests and esxDOS only reports up to four units (I have tested two SD cards with combinations of up to 4 partitions each).

What do you prefer, 0,1,2,3 keys to direct select hd0 to hd3, or a menu to choose the unit from a list (cursor keys and enter)?

I currently have the first option implemented.

Please release the new version as is (= 0,1,2,3 keys to direct select hd0 to hd3) and when the community here has the opinion "menu to choose the unit from a list (cursor keys and enter)?" ist better you maybe can implement this later :-)

Hello,
Here is a preview of version 0.0.11, it is still in development but the drive change works fine. Also I have increased the space for overlays, which goes from 512 to 749 bytes. Besides that, I have corrected small errors and I am doing tests to be able to use dot commands from NMI.sys.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p8epw7dil2nt … 1.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i25bhigxcdyh2 … m.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nza4u8fi0wwmlcl/z.zip?dl=0
Regards,

144 (edited by Luzie 2017-11-04 19:08:31)

david_ps wrote:

Hello,
Here is a preview of version 0.0.11, it is still in development but the drive change works fine. Also I have increased the space for overlays, which goes from 512 to 749 bytes. Besides that, I have corrected small errors and I am doing tests to be able to use dot commands from NMI.sys.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p8epw7dil2nt … 1.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i25bhigxcdyh2 … m.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nza4u8fi0wwmlcl/z.zip?dl=0
Regards,

As always: Many thanks for your work/update!

OK. Did some short tests on v0.0.11, here are my results:
- Command z should go where all .command/DOT-Command are, to directory \bin\ - I´m right?
- Keys 0,1,2,3 for selecting hd0:,hd1:,hd2:,hd3: - I find not that good, as we lost key 0 from Sinclair Joystick 6,7,8,9,0 for selecting. So a menu for selecting drives + ENTER would be my preferred choice.
- There´s nothing implemented to remove/delete a directory in NMI.SYS yet?
- Rename of directory is implemented in NMI.SYS but not mentioned in help screen (this tells only "New file name"/not dir)
- Loading .TRD-Files from hd1: always results in Error message "Invalid PATH, 0:1"?

- Seems there´s a ownness of esxDOS when we have only one harddisk attached instead of two, than esxDOS takes assigns drive letters hd0: and hd1: to this single drive (have tested this yet only on SpecEmu Emulator). Not something to be cured by you, just for others to take note of.

One question I have for "View": Most files are loaded into Screen-Memory (up from 16384) with Length 6912 Bytes. But some files are loaded as "Viewing Text"? Or am I wrong? Can we trigger View to view as Screen or View as Text (First 704 Chars with 32 Chars/Line or 2x704 Chars with 64 Chrs/Line)?

Regards,

Luzie

Excellent work,
but is it possible that the keyboard reacts a bit sluggishly?
If I call z as dot commando, the paper is black.
Regards,
Günter

Spezzi63 wrote:

If I call z as dot commando, the paper is black.
Regards,
Günter

Hello Günter, working here by me (ZEsarUX Emulator with esxDOS 0.85 and 0.86 and SpecEmu with esxDOS 0.86): .z displays List of detected drives

Luzie wrote:

v0.0.11...
- Seems there´s a ownness of esxDOS when we have only one harddisk attached instead of two, than esxDOS takes assigns drive letters hd0: and hd1: to this single drive (have tested this yet only on SpecEmu Emulator). Not something to be cured by you, just for others to take note of.

This seems to be only true with SpecEmu! ZEsarUX shows only on drive. But in ZEsarUX (actual Beta 6.0) there´s no option to attach a second Harddisk-Image as drive.

148 (edited by Spezzi63 2017-11-04 20:57:40)

Luzie wrote:

.z displays List of detected drives

Yes, if I call z as dot command, the paper is black, but INK is 7 wink
.z shows the drives and waits for any keypress, should that be so?
Games on hd1 can be started cool
Regards,
Günter

149 (edited by velesoft 2017-11-05 11:18:51)

Kempton detection code is not good. If I connect different device with readable port 31 then controll of cursor in NMI browser is unstable. If kemspton code detect LEFT+RIGHT or UP+DOWN then must disconnect kempston controll, else is controll unstable.

Here is fixed detection:

Kempston Joystick detection +reading.
After each interrupt in filebrowser we must call detection routine which detect if kempston port 31 contain correct data, else disable kempston controll.
;This code read kempston joystick port and detect if port contain correct data. If detect any incorrect states then disable all next reading of joystick port and always return value 0.
KEMPSTON: EI
HALT
XOR A
HERE: CALL DETECTJOY  ;test/read joystick always after interrupt
LD A,B
RET NZ ;detected correct joystick data
LD A,201 ;code of instruction RET (modifiing code for disable next reading joy port)
LD (HERE),A ;detected incorrect joystick data, then disable next joystick testing and will return alway 0
RET
DETECTJOY: IN A,(31)
AND 31
LD B,A ;backup joy state
AND 3
CP 3  ;detected incorrect state right+left
RET Z
LD A,B
AND 12
CP 12 ;detected incorrect state up+down
RET
In filebrowser you can use one CALL KEMPSTON and code return in register A usable value.
Now is time for testing direction: (you must always test full byte, not only active bits for corresponding directions. It's not game but filebrowser....)
CP 1 ;right
CALL Z,RIGHT
CP 2 ;left
CALL Z,LEFT
CP 4 ;down
CALL Z,UP
CP 8 ;up
CALL Z,DOWN
CP 16 ;fire
CALL Z,FIRE
.... here is CPU if is detected more active directions (for example on some models of SEGA GENESIS gamepads), you can ignore this states.

Luzie wrote:

- Keys 0,1,2,3 for selecting hd0:,hd1:,hd2:,hd3: - I find not that good, as we lost key 0 from Sinclair Joystick 6,7,8,9,0 for selecting. So a menu for selecting drives + ENTER would be my preferred choice.

I have another idea for this: Why not just use key 1 for toggeling from drive hd0: to drive hd1: and from drive hd1: to hd0:.
(I think drives hd2 and hd3: are rarely / never used by anyone?! Or we cycle through drives 0-3 with each press of key 1).