Topic: esxDOS v0.8.8 released

esxDOS v0.8.8 has been officially released. Grab it at http://www.esxdos.org/files/esxdos088.zip.

This version has the following (notable) new features:

• BIN variant added to SAVE command

• Variable support in GO TO command

• Parity check is disabled by default when loading .TAPs

• New/Updated Commands: .sercp, .scl2trd, .cal, .date, .strings

Changelog

[23/02/2020] MB03+: Sped up CheckDMA routine using hardware LIFO stack (lordcoxis)
[23/02/2020] NMI: Added SAA1099 silencer on NMI entry (lordcoxis)
[04/04/2020] NMI: Silence (up to) 3x AYs on NMI entry (lordcoxis)
[04/04/2020] NMI: Added ULAPlus pallette reset on entry and restore on exit (lordcoxis)
[05/04/2020] BASIC: Added variable support in GO TO command, ie "GO TO a$" and "GOTO hd1;a$" (lordcoxis + requested by SCjoe)
[06/04/2020] Kernel: Fixed bug in M_GETSETDRV related with SYS ("$") drive (lordcoxis + reported by Dr. Slump)
[07/04/2020] BASIC: Added BIN variant to SAVE command - like CODE but doesn't write a header (lordcoxis + requested by SCjoe)
[10/04/2020] Commands: Fixed .128 command which got broken in v0.8.7 (lordcoxis + reported by nagydani)
[10/04/2020] Tape Emulator: Added "ParityCheck" parameter to ESXDOS.CFG, which determines if parity is checked when loading .TAPs (lordcoxis + requested by SCjoe)
[10/04/2020] Commands: Added .scl2trd command (Nihirash)
[01/05/2020] Commands: Updated .sercp to v0.5 (Pavel Vymetalek)
[23/05/2020] NMI: Fixed AY silencer routine (lordcoxis + reported by LMN128 & SCjoe)
[23/05/2020] Kernel: Fixed another infinite loop when ESXDOS.SYS can't be loaded (lordcoxis + reported by UB880D)
[23/02/2020] NMI: Added GS silencer on NMI entry (lordcoxis + help from moroz1999)
[24/05/2020] Commands: Added .cal, .date and .strings commands (UB880D)
[24/05/2020] MB03+: Added special MB03+ esxDOS logo (K-0s)

2 (edited by Luzie 2020-05-27 20:03:40)

Re: esxDOS v0.8.8 released

Many thanks for release 0.8.8!

IGNORE THIS OLD/WRONG POST FROM ME: .cal and .date resulting in an "Nonsense in ESXDOS, 0:1" error?
IGNORE THIS OLD/WRONG POST FROM ME:
IGNORE THIS OLD/WRONG POST FROM ME: Update: Only on divIDE-Version under SpecEmu. On divMMC-Version this is working under ZEsarUX.
IGNORE THIS OLD/WRONG POST FROM ME:
IGNORE THIS OLD/WRONG POST FROM ME: On further tests with esxDOS 0.88 on divIDE and these both commands I now get error: "No SYS, 0:1".
IGNORE THIS OLD/WRONG POST FROM ME: Can someone please try this?

3 (edited by aowen 2020-05-25 19:23:20)

I notice .PLAY is still missing from the official repo. Feel free to add it any time you like.
Also, the ULAplus support is appreciated.

4 (edited by velesoft 2020-05-25 19:39:41)

Is here fixed bug if mapram is set ? If is esxdos installed in mapram mode (with disabled flashing eeprom), then after shift+reset or reset is functionality opposite than without mapram mode.

Also super good idea is move(rewrite) ram page #03 with TR-DOS support to any higher, may be #07,#0F or 1F. Original divide accept only last three bits as page number, but on DIVMMC devices is this page different (in higher ram) and real ram page 3 will on DIVMMC free for ESXDOS rom in mapram mode. This change enable always full functionality of TR-DOS in mapram mode. And original DIVIDE ignore this and work as before.

5 (edited by velesoft 2020-05-25 20:19:30)

ULA PLUS palette is supported also on ZX-HD interface, but all ports are write only (impossible read state). Then ESXDOS must as first detect ULA PLUS, then always set default zx color palette for browser and before exit refresh ULA PLUS colors only if ula plus detected.

Also is esxdos after NMI or RESET mute soundchip SAA1099 then must also accept fact of existing SLAM ULA+128 (ula replacement with timex graphic modes). This ULA support also additional TIMEX graphic modes with switching on port #FF = same port as is used for SAA1099 soundchip. Then after mute SAA1099 is recommended use also one OUT #01FF,#00 for set ZX graphic mode (parallel set SAA register 0, but without changes).

velesoft wrote:

ULA PLUS palette is supported also on ZX-HD interface, but all ports are write only (impossible read state). Then ESXDOS must as first detect ULA PLUS, then always set default zx color palette for browser and before exit refresh ULA PLUS colors only if ula plus detected.

Also is esxdos after NMI or RESET mute soundchip SAA1099 then must also accept fact of existing SLAM ULA+128 (ula replacement with timex graphic modes). This ULA support also additional TIMEX graphic modes with switching on port #FF = same port as is used for SAA1099 soundchip. Then after mute SAA1099 is recommended use also one OUT #01FF,#00 for set ZX graphic mode (parallel set SAA register 0, but without changes).

It's unfortunate that the SAA1099 implementation didn't use ZXI ports. Still, SpecNext has ruined port compatibility for everyone, so I don't suppose it matters in the long run. You can read the last value written to ULAplus with ZX-HD, but you can't read back the contents of every register. But the issue is with ZX-HD not fully implementing the ULAplus spec.

7 (edited by Luzie 2020-05-27 20:05:13)

SOLVED!

Luzie wrote:

.cal and .date resulting in an "Nonsense in ESXDOS, 0:1" error?
Update: Only on divIDE-Version under SpecEmu. On divMMC-Version this is working under ZEsarUX.

On further tests with esxDOS 0.88 on divIDE and these both commands I now get error: "No SYS, 0:1".
Can someone please try this?

I tested this myself on a real hardware divIDE and with this .cal and .date work OK/without error!

Hello! I have a DivMMC Enjoy and I am stuck in the upgrading process. Donwloaded the 0.8.8 esxDOS version and try to follow the instructions written in the readme.txt file.
At the first step, when I copy the file esxmmc.tap into the sd card and load it in my +3 (the roms of the computer have
been upgraded to +3e), I get the following message:
Bytes: EXDOS.BIN
ADJUST FLASH FUSE JP2/E, HIT KEY
what am I supposed to do here? When I hit a key (without having made any adjustment) I get the message,
CANNOT FLASH

Thank you in advance

Hello,
this behavior is caused by the hardware.
See here:
https://www.bytedelight.com/?p=140
Observe paragraph:
"Unprotecting the EEPROM" and "Download EPROTECT utility"
Many greetings and stay healthy

thank you very much Spezzi63! I managed to do it correctly this time.

Finally got around to testing with the latest build of SE Basic IV and I'm pleased to say it's all still working.